I Heart Revolution Hair FAQs
Get the facts
- Q. What is the suitable age to use the I Heart Revolution hair colour range?
- A. We recommend a minimum age of 18 for Rainbow Tones, our semi-permanent colour range, although the legal minimum usage age is 16. For Rainbow Paste and Shots, both temporary colour ranges, we recommend a minimum usage age of 16.
- Q. How do I conduct a skin patch test?
- A. Dab a small amount of the dye solution behind your ear or on your inner elbow and leave it to dry. If you experience a reaction, please seek medical attention or consult a doctor immediately.
- Q. How do I know if I’m allergic to the products?
- A. Please do an allergy test before using hair colourants. Conduct a skin patch test at least 48 hours before planned use. This applies to Rainbow Tones and Rainbow Shots. This is not required for Rainbow Paste. If you notice an abnormal reaction during this test, such as itching, redness or swelling, please do not use the product. If you do apply to your hair and you suffer with a reaction, please seek medical attention or consult a doctor immediately.
- Q. Can I use the I Heart Revolution Hair range during pregnancy?
- A. Rainbow Paste, Rainbow Shots and Rainbow Tones are safe to use when pregnant.
- Q. How do I remove any dye from my skin if it is stained?
- A. Wash with soap or an oil-based cleanser and then rinse.
- Q. How do I store the products?
- A. Please close the lid after use. Ideally store at a room temperature (we recommend a storage temperature range of 5°C - 25°C)
- Q. Can I use on chemically treated hair?
- A. Yes, you can use Rainbow Paste, Rainbow Shots and Rainbow Tones on chemically-treated hair.
- Q. Can I use on highlighted hair?
- A. Yes, you can use Rainbow Paste, Rainbow Shots and Rainbow Tones on highlighted hair.
- Q. Will the shade look like the colour on the tub?
- A. For Rainbow Paste, the colour of the product is a good representation of the colour that will appear on your hair. For Rainbow Shots and Rainbow Tones the best colour guide is the lid label. The lid colours are useful guides, but all colours will vary to a degree depending upon the colour of the hair it is applied to, the condition of the hair, how much product was used and how long the product was left on the hair before rinsing.
- Q. Rainbow Tones is described as ‘semi-permanent’. What does semi-permanent colour mean?
- A. Semi-permanent hair colours wash out after several washes. The number of washes depends upon hair type, how much product was used and how long it was left on the hair when applied. Typically a semi-permanent hair colour, such as Rainbow Tones, will last 8-12 washes.
- Q. What is the best way to prepare my hair before using Rainbow Shots or Rainbow Tones?
- A. Wash your hair with a non-conditioning shampoo, ideally a clarifying shampoo, although an ordinary shampoo, will be fine (ensuring you remove any residual product). Make sure you rinse and towel-dry your hair so it is damp, not soaking wet.
- Q. My hair is bleached blonde, will I get exactly the colour shown on the pack lid?
- A. The colour shown on the pack lid is a guide for the colour you will get. Everyone’s hair is different, therefore the final colour may vary slightly, depending upon hair type. Also, other factors, such as hair damage, will affect the final colour impact.
- Q. My hair is quite badly damaged and a bit frizzy. Will Rainbow Shots and Rainbow Tones still work on my hair?
- A. The colour impact will be reduced for damaged or over-dry hair. Also, if you use heavy conditioning agents, de-frizz products or straightening products that contain silicones, the colour may not adhere, because silicones and some other conditioning agents have the effect of coating the hair to prevent external impact.
- Q. My hair is naturally grey. Will Rainbow Shots and Rainbow Tones work on my hair?
- A. Naturally grey hair is made up of some strands that have turned white and the rest remaining their original, natural colour – the combined effect gives the appearance of grey. Hair that has turned white does so because it has lost its ability to retain colour. This means that Rainbow Shots and Rainbow Tones will be able to colour your white strands, but only to a limited extent. Also Rainbow Shots and Rainbow Tones will, at best, only minimally impact on darker hair. Hence, depending upon how dark or light your grey hair is, results will be diminished to a greater or lesser extent.
- Q. Can Rainbow Shots or Rainbow Tones brighten my existing hair colour?
- A. Both Rainbow Shots and Rainbow Tones can enhance your existing hair colour if you choose a similar shade to your existing colour. Blondes can tone and lift colour with Silver Angel and Frosted Ice Blonde from the Rainbow Shots range. For best results apply in the shower and leave for 3-5 minutes. Similarly Rainbow Tones has a Silver Angel and a Silver Galaxy that will help lift the colour if left for maximum of 5 minutes.
- Q. Will Rainbow Paste, Rainbow Shots or Rainbow Tones stain my hair and how easy are they to remove?
- A. If you desire a quick fix, to remove the colour quickly, please use our Revolution PRO Hair Colour Remover.
- Q. Can I use Rainbow Paste, Rainbow Shots or Rainbow Tones if I have hair extensions?
- A. Yes you can. Please note, the colour results will depend on the hair and the porosity of the hair and length of time left to colour to the hair. To compare the actual colour performance, we recommend you do a strand test on your own hair and extension hair, side by side.
- Q. Can I mix products and use together?
- A. Yes, you can. This is why we called the range Rainbow. We encourage mixing the colours. You can mix and match Rainbow Paste, by applying different colours to different parts of your hair, or mixing two colours together, in a separate, clean container. For Rainbow Shots and Rainbow Tones, where you are combining two or more colours, we recommend you perform a strand test prior to full application, to make sure you are happy with the colour. We do not recommend mixing products from our different ranges, simply because each range is designed to perform differently and has a different product base.
- Q. How do I refresh my shade and maintain the colour?
- A. You can simply reapply your chosen shade of Rainbow Shots or Rainbow Tones as often as you like. We recommend topping up your colour in the shower with Rainbow Tones and Rainbow Shots.
- Q. What do I need to know about aftercare?
- A. To maintain the condition of the your hair and maximise the durability and vibrancy of your Rainbow colour we recommend using a shampoo and conditioner specifically designed for colour-treated hair. Do not over-wash your hair – dry shampoos are useful for extending intervals between wet shampoo usage. Avoid prolonged exposure to direct sunlight (which may lighten your hair colour). If swimming in chlorinated water, wear a bathing cap to help protect your hair colour.
Shop all I Heart Hair